Sunday, November 9, 2008

I have witnessed some of David Lynch's work. And I have heard about his work even more. The only comparison to "Eraserhead" I  have is "Straight Story". "Eraserhead" is about as far away as  you can get from it. I think one of the first things I realized about this movie was its absense of music. It is the light droning atmospheric noises that keep you interested, and I feel more fully alert of what is happening visually on the screen. The world seems vacant and the characters appear almost cut off from society. The movies awkward juxtapositions add an extremely surreal element to the film also. The shot of the father yelling about his knee with the sound of loud pistons in the background really got into my head. The moments importance seemed escalated  far above what I expected. And then it was never spoken of again. Themes of disease and supernatural higher powers are threaded throughout. I feel like I was waiting intensely for these foreshadowed moments and themes to be unravelled in the movie at some point. However, they never were. I was a little disappointed when nothing was revealed at the end. But it was also the mystery that kept me interested and locked in. The answers aren't always what is needed. Overall I found the movie pretty interesting. Something I think I should watch again to clear some unfinished thoughts.

No comments: